Hardwood Warping: Tips on How to Prevent It
If you’re the proud owner of hardwood floors, then you’ll want to keep them looking their best for years to come. One way that hardwood floors can start to look less than perfect is if they warp. This happens when the wood swells and contracts due to changes in humidity or temperature.
Are you worried about your hardwood floors getting warped? Don’t be! The team at Virgin Carpets and Flooring has some easy tips to help prevent hardwood warping, so you can keep them looking good as new.
1. Choose the Right Finish
One of the best ways to prevent hardwood warping is to make sure that the floors are properly finished. This will create a barrier between the wood and the elements that can cause it to warp. Hardwood finish is typically made of polyurethane, which is a durable material that can withstand changes in humidity and temperature.
Here’s some of the things to look for in a good hardwood finish:
- It should be durable and hard-wearing.
- It should be able to withstand changes in temperature and humidity.
- It should protect the wood from UV rays.
2. Clean and Maintain Your Floors
Another way to prevent hardwood warping is to make sure that you’re regularly cleaning and maintaining your floors. This will help to keep them looking their best and will also help to extend their lifespan!
Here are our best tips for cleaning hardwood floors:
- Sweep or vacuum the floors on a regular basis to remove dirt, dust, and debris.
- Avoid frequent wet mopping, but if you do use a mild cleaner.
- Avoid using harsh chemicals or cleaners as this can damage the finish.
- Remove spills immediately.
3. Consider the Humidity of Your Space
If you live in an area with high humidity, then you’ll want to make sure that you’re taking steps to dehumidify your space. This will help to prevent hardwood warping and will also help to protect your floors from other damage!
Here are our best tips for dehumidifying your home:
- Use a humidifier in the winter months.
- Keep the windows closed during periods of high humidity.
- Run the air conditioner or heat pump during humid weather.
- Use exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens.
4. Acclimate Your Hardwood
Another way to prevent hardwood warping is through acclimation. This is the process of slowly adjusting the hardwood floors to the temperature and humidity levels of your home. This can be done by laying the hardwood floors in the room for a few days before installation.
Here’s how to properly acclimate hardwood floors:
- Measure the temperature and humidity levels of your home.
- Find an area that’s similar in temperature and humidity.
- Lay the hardwood floors in this area for a few days.
- Monitor the temperature and humidity levels during this time.
5. Control the Climate
Another way to prevent hardwood warping is to control the climate in your home. This means keeping the temperature at a constant state. You can do this with the help of a good HVAC system!
6. Learn About Your Hardwood Type
Depending on your hardwood floor type, they may be more susceptible to warping than others. For example, flatsawn hardwoods are more likely to warp than hardwoods that are made of cedar. You can do research online about warp-resistant hardwoods or you can ask a flooring professional about the most durable hardwood types.
Here are some of the most warp-resistant hardwoods:
Another characteristic of hardwood that affects warping is thickness. Thicker hardwoods are less likely to warp than thinner hardwoods, so this is something to keep in mind.
Find a Durable, Warp-Resistant Hardwood at Virgin Carpets and Flooring!
As already mentioned, a great way to stop hardwood warping from happening is choosing a durable and warp-resistant hardwood in the first place.
At Virgin Carpets and Flooring, we have a wide selection of hardwoods to choose from!
We also have a team of experts who can help you choose the best hardwood for your needs.
We would be more than happy to help you find the perfect hardwood for your home.
Let’s start your hardwood flooring journey at Virgin Carpets and Flooring today! Give us a call at 412-653-3424 or contact us online.